Saturday, October 30, 2004

FOR WHAT??

Was finishing reading the text for one of my modules today, Engineers and Society (our "national education" module), and the more I read it, the more angry, and sad I got.

What is the point of studying so hard??? To join the rat race that beckons outside? (DEAD rats' race mind you, all DEAD rats, running toward only one goal: DEATH) No, to waste resources (money and time) to get a piece of paper (and a fanciful title) so that we can "enter society" as "professional engineers", and "contribute to the building of our nation"?

All rubbish! Living in such a pragmatic society (kiasu'ism, greed, etc.), only serves to show how self-centered a world we live in: we only do things when there're things in it for us, when there're things to be gained, when we satisfy and protect OUR own needs. And what with rethinking of our idealogies for our nation, is just futile: sin only results in MORE SIN, which leads to DEATH in the end.

Not to say that I myself am any better off: even in my thinkings, those that I've not been careful enough in thinking through, the need for self-glorification, and acceptance comes in.

Crap

NB: These are my thoughts on this, but not all of them, so don't jump to conclusions

1 comment:

Giraffe Pen said...

King Solomon in the book of Ecclesiastes agrees with you on the futility of gaining wisdom and of learning about much! :)

H.