Monday, April 12, 2004

LOUDEST 'POK' OF WET TOWELETTE HEARD IN RESTAURANT

Gotten from TalkingCock.com

^^

===========================================================

In most Singaporean restaurants, one often hears the subdued sounds of patrons opening their wet towelette packets after their meals with a distinct 'pok'.

The sound is made by first gripping the sealed packets to compress the air, and then hitting it, causing it to burst open. Although regarded by many as impolite, it is an extremely common practice, because it is fast and effective, and less irritating than tearing it open with one's teeth.

However, if you hear a "pok" that sounds something between a gun-shot and the explosion of the car tire, you know you are dining in the presence of Ms Buay Pai Say.

A small, thin, delicate young woman of 40, Ms Buay poks her wet towelette packets in the decibel range of between 300-400.

Ms Buay explains, "I have been in training for the past 30 years. When I was 10 years old, I went to Lau Ya restaurant when I heard this extremely loud pok that came from behind me on the left - it almost burst my ear drums! I looked around and saw my destiny - I would be be the loudest wet towelette pok-er in Singapore. I promised myself then that I would never eat in a restaurant again until I had mastered at least 300 decibels in my pok-ing."

Ms Buay has certainly been successful, for babies cry, grown men duck under the table, and glass breaks when Ms Buay poks her wet towelette packet. To all budding pok-ers, Ms Buay says cryptically, "It's all in the wrist."

No comments: