Monday, January 24, 2005

The letter

A letter I wrote some time ago, which I have not changed my stand. Just to share only, with a bit of editing to clarify a bit on a sentence or two. This was originally written to the exco.

I'm not trying to say anything other than what I posted here, so don't waste your time trying to guess.

PS: I'm VERY late in writing the formal letter....oops
========================

20 December 2004

Re: Resignation from NTU Christian Fellowship Exco


Dear brothers and sisters in Christ,

As you know, the issue regarding the FES and the five terminated staffworkers, two of which have been assigned to our gathering, has come to a point where we have to make our decision, be it individually or not, on what we will do as members of this gathering.

My personal decision is to leave the CF exco, after thinking through on this issue.

From what has happened since the sudden termination of the staffworkers up till the recent meeting we had with Tee Khoon and Dr. Toh, and even understanding what has been happening even before all these happened, I've had doubts regarding their theological understanding, and their understanding of ministry as a result. Also I find their reactions in the light of our requests especially non-transparent, and hence, their motivations for such actions suspect too. Of course, on the flipside, I do trust the staffworkers that have we've come to know, from seeing that both in their actions and what they preach are in line with each other, which also makes it hard to believe only what we've come to hear so far regarding their administrative lapses at face value.

In thinking through on whether to leave or not, wanting to be faithful to the gospel message, from what we've come to understand about ministry, and it's purpose in the God's church, I've been forced to rethink and remind myself again what exactly is the ministry that God calls us all to as christians. Of course, campus ministry concerns the students that are in the campus, with various reasons for choosing to do ministry with respect to this group of people, but it may be true that this way of doing things may not necessarily be the best way for the students in NTU now, or even that campus ministry may not be the thing to concentrate on even at this point of time, but I may be wrong.

What's the more pressing and important thing now is, that whether it's a wise thing to continue in our partnership with FES in such a manner, counting their actions and words, since the sacking incident, not even looking at what has probably happened before that, between FES and the staffworkers, I do not think that Tee Khoon is clear on quite a few issues, and hence it may not be wise to stay on within CF, counting the possibility of us growing and passing on the true gospel to other christians and non-christians alike with him as our staffworker.

Of course, there're pros and cons for staying and leaving, but what do we do(or what can we do) next shouldn't coerce or dissuade us from either decision, the principles being the main deciding factor.

As for how we're leaving, I hope that that'll be a clear indication of the stand I'm making, that I do not agree with the FES' definition of an evangelical (which also leads to what ministry is and how it should be run), and also to let the others know of such a problem that is real, whilst being fair to them and not leaving without rhyme or reason apparently. Also, I hope that we'll realise that the CF isn't the only place where we can be faithful in proclaiming Christ, although I do thank God for the staffworkers and leaders' faithfulness in guarding the gospel of Jesus Christ, by which I have been saved.

All in all, I do not know which is the better choice: to leave or stay, since I do not know the future to be exact. But whichever way we choose and deem to be the better one, from the wisdom that has been granted us from His Word, never stop actively proclaiming the gospel of Jesus Christ (that we've come to learn from the bible), to remind each other of the Day when He comes in glory, and rely on His grace and sovereignty that He'll be faithful to His promises, that He'll save His people by His strength.

In Christ,

R
(211204, 0211hrs)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i am still waiting for the letters from u, hq & a