Monday, January 26, 2004

All The King's Men

Have just started reading this book, All The King's Men, by Stu Weber, dunno how it ended up in my room eons ago, but have finally picked it up and started reading..

Have not progressed very far with the book, but with every paragraph (so far), it has not failed to gnaw at my probably buried feelings/thoughts: that I need friends around, not just for the advice, or encouragement, or even company, but I guess for the fellowship that happens with it too. And sad to say, yeah, I've had friends whom have come and gone, from kindegarten all the way to army, but the only group I've come so far as to experience what I was looking for, was THE group from JC.

Really thank God for them, guess it was the good and bad times we had together, even though it was only for two yrs in JC, after which we seldom jio'ed each other out cos of other stuff, but it's a group which most of my best, and probably worst too, moments which I've shared with..

Sad to say, have not seen any other group/individual(s) whom that level has been reached...yet? I don't know...but for one I really hope that will be able to grow just as close to the CG(s) I'm in?

Nah..not stating expectations or what, probably hopes lah...but slowly lah, along the way I guess...but also brings to the point abt to have friends, you (prob?) have to be a friend to others first, and have I been doing that?

===
Excerpt from the book, quoting C.S. Lewis
In a perfect Friendship---when the whole group is together, each bringing out all that is best, wisest, funniest in all the others. Those are the golden sessions; when four or five of us after a hard day's walking have come to our inn; when our feet are spread out toward the blaze and our drinks are at our elbows; when the whole world, and something beyond the world, opens itself to our minds as we talk; and no one has any claim on...another, but all are freemen and equals as if we had first met an hour ago, while at the same time an Affection mellowed by the years enfolds us. Life--natural life---has no better gift to give. Who could have deserved it?

No comments: