Sunday, April 05, 2009

Ubuntu on Acer Aspire One cannot see or join wireless network

In case anyone encounters the same problems, hopefully this saves the sanity of these people trying to troubleshoot this.

I'm using an Acer Aspire One A150, running Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex 8.10, madwifi-hal drivers as instructed here.

I was not able to see my wireless network even though it could detect and join other networks.  The problem was caused by the wireless network being set to a radio channel higher than 11.

Possible solutions:
1) (recommended) Change the wireless AP channel to between 1 and 11.
2) If (1) is not possible for you, follow squire_uk's forum post made on February 10th, 2009, 06:11 PM for his fix.

References:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I really want to THANK you for this post. My sister has Acer aspire one (d250) and this little f*cker used to have difficulties detecting my home network. (Unlike my laptop, my phone etc.) It found my neighbour's one quite easily, but couldn't find mine. I was quite frustrated about it. I tried countless restarts of my router, reinstalling drivers, using new firmware for the router, changing SSID...
I would have never thought the problem was stupid like this. I have changed the number of the channel used by the router and everything is just fine...
Really THANKS a lot again :-)
DraCZECH

Unknown said...

You're very welcome :)